Wednesday, July 22, 2009

T.J. Houshmandzadeh's Madden boycott

Story from FOXSports.com

Among certain circles, the annual release of the new version of John Madden's video game is treated as a national holiday.
Does Housh have a beef?
T.J. Houshmandzadeh thinks he should be ranked higher in the new Madden video game. Here's a look at last year's stats of the game's six highest-rated pass catchers in the NFC:
Player, Team
REC
YDS
TDS
Larry Fitzgerald, ARI
96
1,431
12
Steve Smith, CAR
78
1,421
6
Anquan Boldin, ARI
89
1,038
11
Roddy White, ATL
88
1,302
7
Calvin Johnson, DET
78
1,331
12
Houshmandzadeh
92
904
4

But Seahawks wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh won't be celebrating when Madden '10 comes out next month, telling a national radio host he'll be boycotting the game in protest over his player rating.

"Man, they don't get my rating right," Houshmandzadeh said while appearing on Colin Cowherd's ESPN Radio show Monday. "I just looked at the game and they have this wrong and that wrong. And I understand I averaged 10 yards a catch (in 2008), but it's the offense, man, not me."

For the record, Houshmandzadeh has a rating of 91, making him the sixth-highest ranked wide receiver in the NFC, behind only Larry Fitzgerald (99), Steve Smith (97), Anquan Boldin (94), Roddy White (93) and Calvin Johnson (92). Also for the record, Houshmandzadeh had 904 receiving yards and four touchdowns in 2008. Just for comparison purposes, all five NFC wideouts ranked ahead of him put up better numbers; each had at least 1,038 receiving yards and scored at least six TDs.

But according to Houshmandzadeh, those numbers are lying. And he'll be giving the PlayStation a rest until the truth is told.

"I'm not playing Madden no more, until they get my rating right," Houshmandzadeh said. "It might be a little pouting, too. It might be. But, you know, I used to be the best in the world at Madden, so I'm going to miss not playing it. But until they do me right, I'm not playing it no more."

__________

Of all the stories that get published during the NFL off-season, this one was pretty unnecessary, but nonetheless, entertaining.

What does Houshmandzadeh think his boycott will result in? A decrease in sales? Not likely. He probably only helped the franchise even more by affirming the fact that they got his rating right.

Larry Fitzgerald is the head of the class. No argument there, the man can play. Steve Smith and Anquan Boldin both did more (TDs, YDs) in less games, 14 and 12 respectively. His argument for saying "but it's the offense, man, not me" is unacceptable, I mean, who's above him? Calvin Johnson and the (0-16) Detroit Lions' offense. He managed to do more with a lot less. Johnson made his own stats, racked up his YACs, and found his way to the end zone on less receptions as well.

Roddy White also manages to best Houshmandzadeh with a rookie QB in Matt Ryan, getting 400 more yards and 3 more TD. I know Matt Ryan is better than Ryan Fitzpatrick, but even with Carson Palmer, Houshmandzadeh's best receiving yards in a season is 1,143.

And I didn't mention that T.J. Houshmandzadeh is the oldest of the 6 and has the lowest career average yards per catch and has never had a season where he's averaged more than 13.4, Steve Smith averages 14.4 for his career, Larry Fitzgerald averages 14.0, Roddy White averages 15.4, Calvin Johnson in two seasons average a monstrous 16.6, Anquan Boldin is the low man at 12.9, which beats Houshmandzadeh's second best average of 12.3.

So maybe it's not the defense, it's you T.J. To show how ridiculous T.J regards himself beyond reality, you only need to read his quote saying "I used to be the best in the world at Madden." Best in the world? I've never seen on the Madden Challenge on ESPN...

Houshmandzadeh should be thanking Madden for overrating the receiver. Either way, the boycott will not last very soon because Madden is too addicting.

2 comments:

  1. I would probably say what he did in public just to prove my point too. But I'd still buy the game and just change my ratings to what I thought they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on man, blog!

    ReplyDelete